The Tamil Tint!

का हाल बाटे?

Writing in Bhojpuri restricts my other language-speaking readers. You and I realize this, it’s equivalent. But the difference sparked when Alexander the Great realized it. He wanted the Greek scholars to convert the contemporary literature. The process of translation and its history is dated thousands of years ago. The details could be traced from scholars like Roman Jacobson, Gideon Toury, Mona Baker, and Venuti. But nothing could surpass the contribution of Horace and Cicero when it comes to the history of translational studies.


Translation is in the air these days. How? Globalization!


You visit a new country with a different language than your mother tongue, you are not as concerned as you would be, if this was a decade ago. 


I have been writing since I was in eighth grade- makes me happy to say that out loud. I write in joy, sorrow, contentment, disappointment, and all similar feelings you can spell. It has its role and purpose, but one of the beautiful things about writing at periodical intervals is to spot the progress you have made. By progress, I do not mean how you started from zero and now you are getting paid for it. For sure that is a big achievement that calls for celebration. But what I meant as progress was, how earlier you were not sure about the usage of a particular punctuation and now you are. Moreover, you can spot your mistakes and rectify them- that kind of progress. Rome was not built in a day; neither can you start writing, like your favorite writer- in a day.

Back to the story, I still write poetries that I restrict to keep in my journal. There were and are reasons. Several times, instead of constructive criticism, people have picked up my work. Anyway, I wrote some lines on how things change when we move out of a place. About the friends, people, neighbors, and family we leave behind.


You must be wondering what is special about it. So many of us write poetries, so what? Let me tell you the beautiful part. Swasti, one of my close friends, called me one night to share the stories she had. We had a conversation and I wanted to continue but I had two exams the next day, so I had to cut off the conversation. To make Swasti feel better, I shared my poem “On Moving Away” with her. Little did I know, she would feel good and at max, she would write a big paragraph in reflection on the poem or maybe she would send a two-minute voice note. 


Life throws surprises and so does Swasti. She is currently studying in Tamil Nadu so she has Tamil-speaking friends. She sent back a Tamil version of the same poem. She mentioned how she recited the poem to her friend, Abirami, and for better understanding, Abi translated the poem into Tamil. My heart was so full looking at the Tamil version. I was not sad for not understanding a word written rather I was amazed at the beauty of languages as the thread in the world of knitted fabric.


What made me happy today?


I am not a renowned author, neither is Abirami - an expert translator. But we both stepped out of our identities of just Shreya and just Abirami. And then there are people like Swasti- connecting the dots! This is what makes life exciting, looking forward to The Road Not Taken


On Moving Away- Ashita

Vilagi Selgirathu - Abirami

Comments

  1. Your writings are not the only words but a tsunami of feelings ,emotions and sentiments.Sending love always❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always best words

    ReplyDelete
  3. सब बढ़िया after reading this😘

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deep words, connect with emotions ✨

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its great how you started with translation, wondered around what you write and then came back to the original point. What you mentioned about translation is true and I beleive translation is going to become as invisible as air due to the AI. In future l, the writer need not worry about the language she is writing in. She would rather write in her own language (or the language she is most comfortable in) and that will be translated into every other prominent language with just a click of the button. To your question which you asked in the starting "सब ठीक वा"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Swasti has always been the person who brings people together, no matter the occasion. Her genuine emotions and your heartfelt storytelling fill me with joy and pride. Thank you, Chief, for sharing this wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My phone's screen is showering under droplets of tears. Imma reading each and every word with rhythmic slow breaths. My heart and my mind are sitting together, smiling as I read out each line to them. They feel at peace. I generally imagine myself going into dense forests, hear the sounds of life brimming around, the sound of that huge waterfall which is dancing its way towards the brook underneath, and many other. When I read your blogs na birather, this all imagination in a way start feeling true. The way you have acknowledged the beauty of languages, translations, it's history, Abirami and Swasti, it's an unmatchable beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved how you've acknowledged my words, anonymous!

      Delete
  8. Now that I have started reading translation literature as well, I not only look at the authors name but the translator as well because without the translator I wouldn't have been able to read the text.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More like the bridge to the unexpected but amazing scenery!

      Delete
  9. आपका लिखना मुझे अलादीन करता है लगता है मैं ही लिख रही हूं आगे और भी अच्छा करेंगे ऐसी मेरी शुभकामना है शुभ आशीष है।
    आपकी मां

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ❤️ शुक्रिया, मां

      Delete
  10. मेरी जो टिप्पणी है उसमें कुछ आशुधियां है उसको अन्यथा नहीं लीजिएगा।
    आप जब लिखती हैं तो मुझे लगता है की मैं ही लिख रही हूं आपकी कविता, कहानी पढ़कर मैंअंदर से अह्लादीत होती हुं।

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. आपने टिप्पणियां लिखी, वही मेरे लिए काफी है। :)

      Delete
  11. आज एक बार फ़िर तेरे ब्लॉगस्पॉट के ब्लॉग्स के गलियारे में घूमने के लिए आती हूं। और सर्वप्रथम ये वाला ब्लॉग! birather, इस ब्लॉग को पढ़ने के बाद कितनी जानकारियां मन के अलग अलग सांचों में भर रही हैं। बहुत कुछ सीखने को मिल है: ट्रांसलेशन की शुरुआत से लेकर, इसके प्रति दिलचस्पी रखने वाले लेखक तथा आज भी अनुवाद के जादू जिसको birather, तेरे जैसे कई लेखक जीवित रख रहे है, इस बारे में पढ़कर बहुत अच्छा लग रहा है। फिर तेरी कविता का तमिल में अनुवाद देखकर भी बहुत खुशी मिल रही है। लिखती रह!💓

    ReplyDelete
  12. आई हूं।*😅

    ReplyDelete
  13. फिर से उड़ चली और आ पहुंची हूं इस ब्लॉग को एक बार फिर से पढ़ने। कितनी सारी जानकारियां मिली हैं अनुवाद से संबंधित। ट्रांसलेशन की शुरुआत से लेकर इसके प्रति रुचि रखने वाले नामचीन लेखक, और फ़िर आज के समय में भी अनुवाद का प्रचलन, इन सभी के बारे में जानकर बहुत अच्छा लगा। लिखती रह birather।❤️🦋 - स्वस्ति

    ReplyDelete
  14. அபிராமிApril 2, 2024 at 11:24 AM

    Your words are so deep and beautiful. Just like the photographs taken by swasti carry the memory of that moment, your poem carries many memories with beauty.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Anomalus Dreams

...well, that's what leaders do...