Teaching Beyond Classroom

     I returned home after around three months. I observed changes in my mother's routine. Instead of ranting about the loneliness, she chooses to be productive out of it. There are a lot of children of varied age groups in the same building where my mother lives right now. She let the main door open during the morning and evening hours. At first, I thought it was for good air conditioning. Later I realized it was an open invitation for the children. Their visit is not only limited to locomotion; she gives them mini-lessons during the conversations. The lessons would include cutting fruits to share with the siblings or cousins, plucking flowers without hurting the leaves, and many more.

    My mother was performing her prayers to God when I woke up today. I realized a child was sitting. On looking carefully, I saw he was accompanied by a pencil and a notebook. It was quite a surprising view, as the last time I came home the same kid was afraid to even talk to any one of us. My mother never forced me to study for grades, but she knows the importance of grades for sure. That is what she does to other children around her as well. She tries to give them their own space to grow and appreciate the changes. Being a teacher of children with different abilities, she expects the least from any child. After the child was done with writing she gave him the small learning kit she had. It is a kind of souvenir from almost two decades of her teaching experience including flashcards from her B.Ed, some of my puzzles, along with some crayons. She preserves learning materials so that they would benefit somebody someday. Apart from being my mother, she is an amazing teacher who is capable of teaching beyond classrooms.

Shreya


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anomalus Dreams

The Tamil Tint!

...well, that's what leaders do...